Gay-Friendly Alcohol Rehab in California
Why Acceptance and Understanding are an Important Thing in Alcohol Rehab
Alcohol use disorder occurs for different reasons in each person and requires personalized treatment plans that address all underlying issues effectively. This is especially true for members of the LGBTQ+ community dealing with alcohol addiction, as they face unique challenges which may lead to drug and alcohol abuse. The gay community faces many daily challenges which have contributed to a high rate of mental health and substance abuse disorders compared to their heterosexual counterparts. Members of the gay community experience higher rates of mental health issues and addiction due to discrimination, shame, and trauma they experience. Discrimination and trauma have also transferred into medical care which has caused many gay individuals to lose trust and avoid getting necessary health care out of fear.
When it comes to any type of health care, including alcohol addiction treatment, it is important for treatment providers to take these issues faced by the gay and lesbian community into account and ensure the treatment facility is accepting and understanding. Often, it is difficult for those who identify as LGBTQ to find treatment that truly meets their needs without experiencing prejudice because of their sexual orientation. Reassuring gay clients they will be treated without bias and with respect can help them open up more about their issues surrounding their addiction and result in better recovery outcomes.
There are multiple pathways to recovery and treatment programs need to help each individual manage their addiction in the way that is best for them. Alcohol rehab should address the specialized needs of members of the gay and lesbian community for a well-rounded and inclusive path to recovery. Recognizing these issues is especially important for residential treatment, including providing appropriate housing that meets gay client needs.
Are Alcohol Rehabs Gay-Friendly?
Yes! There are gay friendly alcohol rehabs that take into consideration specific needs and challenges faced by the gay and lesbian community. Gay-friendly rehabs offer a safe space of recovery instead of treating their LGBTQ+ clients like outsiders. These rehab centers assure gay clients that they will not face discrimination or homophobia from staff or peers. At a gay-friendly rehab, the focus is helping each individual successfully recover from drug and alcohol abuse and prevent anyone from feeling isolated, ostracized or left out during the healing process. Gay and lesbian friendly rehab facilities will also address unique issues faced by the community which has led them to alcohol addiction, such as mental health disorders from trauma and discrimination. They can also provide you with access to specialized aftercare services for the gay community for continued support after completing your alcohol rehab program.
9 Things to Consider When Looking for a Gay-Friendly Alcohol Rehab in California
Finding the right treatment center is key for successful recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. There are many gay and lesbian friendly rehab facilities in California, however it is important to also consider other factors to determine which treatment center is best for needs. Here are some examples of things to consider when choosing a gay friendly alcohol rehab in California:
- Location. It is important to consider the location of the rehab facility. If you need to get away from a toxic environment or people, it may be wise to choose a treatment center farther away. However, you might want to choose an alcohol rehab in California near you if you want to be close to supportive loved ones.
- Environment. Rehab facilities come in a variety of environments including more clinical ones and ones that look like vacation resorts. You need to decide whether comfort and luxury environments are important to you which may make a difference in whether you complete your alcohol rehab program.
- Health Insurance. Your health insurance plan may cover some or all your rehab costs, however not all rehab facilities in California are covered by insurance. It is important to verify your plan to find out what is covered and to find rehab facilities that take your insurance.
- Use Evidence Based Addiction Therapies. Quality alcohol addiction treatment centers center their treatment programs around evidence based addiction therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy and medication assisted treatment. Alcoholism is a chronic, relapsing disorder and any place that promises a cure for your addiction is lying to you.
- Variety of Addiction Therapies. Personalized treatment programs offer the best chance at long-term recovery. Rehab centers that offer a variety of addiction therapies can provide you with the most specialized treatment programs and address all areas of your life affected by alcohol addiction. These can include individual and group therapy, family therapy, and relapse prevention planning.
- Accreditations. One sure way to know that a gay friendly rehab facility in California offers quality care is that they are accredited by third party organizations like the Joint Commission. This indicates they meet the highest level of care and rigorous requirements.
- Mental Health Services. Many who struggle with alcohol addiction also have a co-occurring mental health disorder, such as anxiety or depression. Co-occurring disorders are especially common among members of the gay community dealing with alcoholism. Treatment centers with dual diagnosis programs will address all co-occurring disorders congruently which is needed for successful addiction recovery.
- Post-Treatment Recovery Support. Alcohol addiction is not cured once you finish your rehab program. It is a life-long battle for which treatment programs will provide the necessary tools and skill to manage on your own. However, the best gay friendly rehab centers will also offer a post-treatment support system through aftercare programs and alumni programs to help lower the risk of relapse. Quality treatment centers will be invested in your long-term recovery and not just your sobriety while you are in treatment.
- Provide Several Levels of Care. The best way to recover from alcohol addiction is through a step-down system from intensive treatment to flexible programs. You should look for gay-friendly rehabs in California that offer multiple levels of care including alcohol detox which allows you to successfully stop drinking followed by gradually reintegrating you back to the real world with enough support through outpatient programs.
Find Gay-Friendly Alcohol Rehab and Recovery with Resurgence Behavioral Health
Resurgence Behavioral Health in Los Angeles, California offers gay-friendly alcohol rehab and recovery. Our specialized treatment programs tailor each treatment plan to each individual to provide them with their best chance of recovery from alcohol addiction, no matter how severe or long the addiction. We focus on providing our gay clients with a safe and welcoming environment where they can fully focus on their recovery. We offer dual diagnosis treatment to uncover underlying mental health issues related to your alcohol use disorder and help you find ways to take back control of your overall health.
Our treatment center offers all levels of care including alcohol detox, inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, aftercare programs, and sober living. Clients will be able to immerse themselves into their recovery program in our calm, healing, and relaxing environment. We offer several amenities including a pet friendly inpatient program, exercise area, and an on-site chef who creates healthy and delicious meals to help heal the body and mind from alcohol abuse.
If you would like to learn more about our gay-friendly alcohol rehab center or would like to verify your insurance with us, please do not hesitate to contact us today.